Tuesday, September 10, 2013

'Chavez Cage of Glory'!

They say in my business you never know when you are going to get that "call" that changes your life.  And, I have absolutely no doubt that is 100% true.  However, in this digital age, that "call" can come in a variety of different ways-texts, emails, instant messages or ims, & social media messages such as Facebook & Twitter. So, you not only have to check your voice mail messages or answering machine messages, if you even have a land line in your home anymore, but you have to check a list of other outlets where one might leave you a message.

In the Entertainment business, things can change literally from minute to minute, so opportunities can come along out of nowhere.  Because of this unpredictable nature of this horrid beast, you have to be available at all times.  And, I speak from experience.  I've lived in Los Angeles for the passed 13 years of my 15 year career thus far, & I have sacrificed a ton of time seeing my family whom none of which reside in Los Angeles or anywhere near California, because I didn't want to be away & miss "that call" or any call for that matter. Countless holidays missed & gone forever because I didn't want to miss an opportunity because you have to be around & available because there is always someone waiting in the wings.

And, independent productions shoot all year 'round.  There are no holidays, vacations, or breaks.  You get a break, holiday, or time for a vacation when you aren't booked with no work.

Thanksgiving weekend 2012 I decided after just auditioning for a new recurring role on "Glee" the week before that I was going to relax & take a break with my loved ones & celebrate the holiday, a special occasion, & my awesome series audition.  After wishing many people-family & friends a Happy Thanksgiving & having a great night on that Thursday-I decided to go incognito from cyberspace Friday, Saturday, & Sunday, get out of town & enjoy the holiday weekend.  I had NO idea that a message was going to come in that Friday night after Thanksgiving just after 8pm to my Facebook account that was a major opportunity.

A dear, dear colleague & friend on mine who played my hottest on-screen girlfriend to date in a film we shot together earlier in the year was working on an indie action/drama that week starring some "name" actors & sent me a message on Facebook that Friday night after Thanksgiving asking if I was available to shoot on that Monday on this awesome film she was working on.  But, because, I was not online & actually taking a break after so many years of "waiting by the phone"(so to speak), I missed the message.
I didn't get the message until Monday morning & it was too late to show up to the gig.

At the time, I was bummed because I missed a job working with my friend & some awesome "name" actors(2 of which I had worked with before), as well as Danny Trejo-whom I am a fan of.  But, oh well, next time & the next one-no big deal.  And, I gave my friend my cell phone number to contact me on next time instead of sending me a message on Facebook.  Of course, I did have my cell phone with me & on during my pseudo break.

Turns out that the little indie action/drama got a theatrical release nationwide & opens everywhere this Friday September 13th.  After 15 years of my career, I finally get cast in a film that gets released nationwide with billboards, bus & subway posters everywhere, & I was not online & missed the message, thus missing this opportunity.  I couldn't be happier for my friend because she has a leading role, but every time I see one of those billboards or posters it feels like a shotgun blow to my chest.  The one time I take a break for 3 days & miss something so huge.

Lesson learned the hard way.  Now, I check all my messages-Facebook, emails, texts, etc. obsessively at least 3 times a day.  I should be in a film opening nationwide in theaters on Friday, but instead I am checking my messages & wishing to God that I could go back in time, so I could check my fucking Facebook messages just after 8pm the Friday night after Thanksgiving.

So, show your support & go see my amazing friend Sadie Katz in 'Chavez Cage of Glory' on Friday at a theater near you.  And, know that next time I will be telling you to go see me for sure!

xo


No comments:

Post a Comment